19.3.15

Madhubani print t-shirt

Madhubani style print t-shirt

What can be more prosaic than a t-shirt-pants look? And actually this is not something that I like to wear. But there are places and situations when one is preferably be dressed as casual as that. To somehow spice up such a casual look I chose t-shirts with an interesting print and add some interesting jewelry. My today's t-shirt is decorated with a print in Madhubani style.

Madhubani style print t-shirt, black pants and embroidered cotton bag

Madhubani (or Mithila) is a style of Indo-Nepalese painting, practised in the Mithila region of Nepal and India. The women of the region had neither education nor formal training in painting. The skills have been passed on from mothers to daughters through centuries. In the process, there have been some changes and embellishments, but the content and the style have largely remained the same. These paintings have a naivety and simplicity which perhaps is their main attraction. They usually depict Hindu deities, scenes of daily life, local flora and fauna. Such figures as the one on my t-shirt are the most recognisable feature of this art form.

Madhubani print t-shirt

I have a few Indian Madhubani drawings and a wooden box painted in this style as well as several Nepalese Madhubani painted paper boxes. You can see there is difference in style between Indian and Nepalese paintings.

Indian Madhubani paintings
Nepalese Madhubani paintings

The necklace and earrings set is inspired by traditional jewelry. A unique, hand-made piece. Local artisans are very skilled and creative but many are struggling to make ends meet. 

Madhubani print t-shirt, traditional style necklace
The bright embroidered detail of the cotton bag adds more colour and interest to the look. The bag is from Bangladesh, I bought it at the recent fair trade.

Embroidered cotton bag from Bangladesh
Madhubani print t-shirtMadhubani print t-shirt - JuJu (Nepal), black pants - Bossini, silver necklace/earrings set - Nhuchche and Son Workshop (Nepal), cotton bag - from Bangladesh

Linking up with Fun Fashion Friday
Hope you are having a nice day!

13 comments:

  1. I love this simple casual and yet very unique and bright look!!!! Your legs looks slim and long in trouser :) :) :) it's lovely rhe way yoh kept he whole look ethnic....as with the Madhubani painted t shirt as with the hand made jewellery and that beautifully embroidered bag! You look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your print shirt Olga, because it is telling a little story. It is so lovely! And the bag looks like the girl and the bird jumped out of it. Great style dear!
    Sabine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely outfit! And a super cool print :-)
    I love your blog! Let me know would you like us to support eachother by following eachother on GFC?
    Have a nice day,
    Sonia Verardo
    http://www.trenchcollection.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olya, you look like you're 25 again! Your figure is so slim! I'm jealous :) Lovely print on the T-shirt. Never seen anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shirt and bag are both so lovely and those paintings are amazing as well. I adore that you feature truly global fashion, it is a passion of mine. Oh, and you look completely gorgeous too by the way :) xoxo

    All Things Bright and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the print on that t-shirt....and the fact you explained the background behind it. Traditional painting is always interesting...and I do like the simplicity and the brightness of this particular art style and tradition.

    That being said, I really like the pants, they fit you really well. The sandals and the bag are also really lovely. Perfect casual outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the print of that tee shirt and the cat walking past! I often admire that art in India. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something similar next time I visit! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this cool artsy print and thanks for sharing the history behind it! You look fab and I love those cool shoes! Thanks for always sharing your fab style with Fun Fashion Friday!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello lovely! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog & following! I really appreciate your support! I followed you back, #132 on GFC, I hope that we keep in touch & keep supporting eachother!
    xo from Italy,
    Sonia Verardo
    http://www.trenchcollection.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a cute top and adds that something special to a simple outfit. I love a graphic tee that has a unique design like this one, especially with a blazer too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Olga,

    Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. You look beautiful, and the outfit is very pretty. The paintings are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the content on this site. Would like to visit again.

    t-shirt design CT, custom t-shirt print & Sweatshirts CT

    ReplyDelete

  13. Hi your article is nice and good information with custom t-shirts you can either design your own t-shirts or use one of the standard designs offered by those firms that specialize in t-shirt printing.

    Visit : http://www.santabantatshirts.com/

    ReplyDelete